PDA

View Full Version : Favourite songs

nice man washing
06-17-2003, 10:20 AM
Circ Folk,

Not many posts on the System lately . . . what's up with everyone?!

So, to keep you on your toes, what's everyone's favourite Circulatory System Top Five?

Mine are:
1. Joy
2. Should A Cloud Replace A Compass?
3. Inside Blasts
4. The Lovely Universe
5. Yesterday's World

Tim

bedbug
06-17-2003, 01:10 PM
Not in order, but probably something like

1. Illusion
2. Inside Blasts
3. Lovely Universe
4. Joy
5. Yesterday's World

with honerable mention going to Waves of Bark and Light, and Symbols and Maps.

Plastic_hero
06-18-2003, 06:28 AM
:o

nice man washing
06-18-2003, 06:36 AM
S - Circulatory System have got an awesome live sound. A friend of mine described it as 'The Blissed-Out Stooges', which is fucking great.

The new songs I've heard on a Toronto bootleg are superb, so no doubt the new record will be as magical as the last.

[Edited on 18-6-2003 by nice man washing]

bedbug
06-18-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by s

wanna see them play live. :( They must be cool. :cool:

I've seen 'em twice. Both times were amazing. It's a lot more rocking. And I might be way off on this, but possibly a tad funky, and that's not a criticism. Will's guitar is much more prominant, and some songs, like Compass, have these really upfront choppy chords (has anyone else noticed this?).

But it's awesome. You realize you know, that you go to all these rock clubs, and it's like so many bands are just the same. You know, maybe they do an ironic cover or something, and that's supposed to be special. But then you go see Circulatory, and they've got these exotic sounding songs. And Heather Mac's going to town on the cello. And there's clarinet and all this neat stuff. And there's two drummers! I'm now convinced that every band needs, if not two drum kits, then at least some hand percussion or something. If not the single coolest band I've seen, then definitely up in the top 3 or something.

nice man washing
06-19-2003, 07:39 AM
Yeah, The Stooges are Iggy Pop's band, and they're pretty much the apotheosis of noise and melody. Fucking awesome, enormous riffs. Hence the System live sound has big riffs, but less speed-fuelled and more 'blissed out'.

I'm sure the new album will be beautiful, perhaps a bit more sunny than the last. Great tunes, with simply dizzying arrangements, as usual.

nervesandgel
06-20-2003, 04:39 AM
i always thought punk turned more into a fashion statement than an actual form of music. there were so many great experimental bands comming out at the same time that didn't get the press because they didn't care about it, or they didn't want it, which is way more "punk" (if thats what you want to call it) in my opion. punk turned into a silly show of who can be more outrageous or offensive and i persoanally can't get into any of th music. but i don't disagree or disrespect anyone who is into it, but i have to say after that "avril" girl ( i don't know her whole name) came out , punk is DEAD! :P

nice man washing
06-20-2003, 04:40 AM
s - I can strongly recommend Raw Power. An absolutely superb record, needles in the red. Listen loud!

channelfan
06-20-2003, 08:53 AM
the stooges, radio birdman, etc., is to me the true beginnings of punk rock, and is punk in the purest sense of the word. of course you could also point to bands that spurred the whole idea of punk such as the velvet underground. i'm no expert on the subject really, but what people call punk today is, well it's a charachiture (sp?) , a novelty. there are exceptions like fugazi, avail, etc, but really, what does nofx have in common with original punk? it's like now a lifestyle generates the music, like people just wanting to be and act like a punk so they make and listen to music like nofx. real punk was music that generated a lifestyle.
sorry about ramblin' on but i've always questioned this modern punk stuff and it's relevance. like i said, i'm not an expert and really i'd like to hear what others feel on this subject. i have a good friend whos a fan of modern punk but doesn't even seem to realize where it came from. and it's really hard to get him to listen to anything else (although i did turn him on to neutral milk hotel).
so anyway, all you 'punks' on the board tell me what you think.

William
06-20-2003, 07:27 PM
Punk is just playing however the hell you like not caring if it sounds good to others. Its sort of rebeling against Prog-Rcok Self-Indulgence with more Self-Indulgence. I like proto-punk, early punk, and post-punk. I don't think much of most current punk bands though.

opopopo
06-21-2003, 12:40 PM
i, oddly enough, have lots of "punk" friends, and suprisingly lot of them dont even care for punk music. theyre in it for the social status, the "scene". all these scenesters are so damn eliteist it makes me want to pee. if i go to a punk show i get all these looks from hardcore kids that just scream you-will-never-be-as-cool-as-me kind of things.

actually, just the other day i had a conversation with two of my punk friends about just how ugly the world of punk rockers is. its all about status and clothes and who your friends are and what bands you say you like, etc etc etc, which reminds me of all the britney spears lovers in their gap clothes and thirty seven pounds of makeup... its exactly the same crap, only a little more black and a spike here and there. its all quite silly to me.

well, i guess there are the kids in it for the music, and good for them i say. if youre honestly in something for the love of music, and not for shallow social motives then power to ya.

nervesandgel
06-21-2003, 04:09 PM
i guess what i meant to say is punk did have a begining but after a couple years so many bands were trying to be punk. i think it started as a natural rebellion towards music that was out there and then became a forced rebellion. then a fashion statement. just didn't last very long in my opinion.
i have nothing against any of the bands, in fact i like most of the early stuff, but i think its funny how people still call their bands punk rock when its bubblegum pop music with distortion (and now sometimes with really bad white boy rapping)
where as there were so many bands that started in the 70's that are still creating some fucked up and great music and it never really became a scene or mtv-vied. and i think thats amazing.