PDA

View Full Version : HHBTM July Newsletter

hhbtmike
07-19-2011, 02:30 AM
Hey Folks,
Well long time no hear from me I guess…. Things have been just real busy, and that’s a good thing right? Anyway let’s get right to it, lots of news to report this time around. Also two pre-orders will be launching this weekend for the new Orca Team 7” and the Tunabunny LP. Also please go and friend the Athens PopFest Foundation on Facebook ASAP. The early bird tickets are on sale now, and they will go up in price on Friday when the line up is announced.

NEW RELEASES

Joe Jack Talcum – Home Recordings 1984 – 1990 or Vol 1 LP HHBTM138
Joe Jack Talcum is the founder of the Dead Milkmen and one of the main songwriters in the band, you also know him as the guy who sang Punk Rock Girl and other songs in the band even though he is mainly just the guitarist. This LP is a compilation of home recordings from 1984 through 1990 for vol 1 with volume 2 coming this winter to pick it up from there. The record comes housed in a 2 color silkscreen sleeve and with a digital download limited to 500 copies. There are still a few pre-order copies available that come with a Joe Jack pillowcase and button.

Tunabunny – (Song for My) Solar Sister / Airport 7” HHBTM139
Tunabunny is, for now, less of a criminal element that it used to be. On last year’s debut album, you had to listen closely to hear the Blondie, to hear the Abba, to hear the pop. Some people just heard noise. Some people thought it was glorious. The album received rave reviews in some unexpected places, including Everett True in Australia (‘this music makes me deliriously happy’) and a top-5 end of year placing on the BBC’s website. This spring saw a successful tour of the eastern half of the USA. Now comes ‘(Song For My) Solar Sister,’ the advance single for Minima Moralia, due out in August. The album marks an unprecedented leap, like the one that took Nirvana from Bleach to Nevermind, like Pavement from those early ep’s to Slanted & Enchanted. This year’s Tunabunny marks a shift from noise towards melody, from chaos towards structure, from indifference towards rapture, It signals a Tunabunny more pop, yet more intense; more accessible, yet more desperate; more comforting, and yet more uncomfortable. Taken with its B-side, the single tells a story; it is in conversation with itself. One side says hello to the future as the other one closes a door on the past: optimism vs. defeat, victory vs. mourning, warm guitars vs. icy synths, one lead singer vs. the other. You could conceivably keep listening, keep flipping it over and over, and still hear more details emerge, continue to still be enthralled, still attempting to decipher the mystery, to figure it out, to get the bottom of things. Not unlike life itself.

Madeline – Black Velvet LP & CD TWBOS001
First off yes, HHBTM started a new label This Will be Our Summer with a new partner to focus on fewer acts with a way more involved part in the process beyond just being a label. Black Velvet was recorded by Madeline and the Black Velvet Band in between national and international tour dates. Inspired by Neil Young’s producer David Briggs’ work, Madeline followed the strategy of On The Beach and Tonight’s the Night - recording whenever and wherever they could find a couple of micro- phones, and focusing on capturing the energy of a live show. Black Velvet sounds like an Arthur Russel record one minute, all bedroom pop and private crooning, while turning around and twisting into dark Jefferson Airplane-esque psychedelia the next. Madeline’s signature Karen Carpenter/Neko Case meets The Carter Family southern ballads still make an appearance with lyrics about everything from Johnny Cash’s career as heaven’s angel barber to the joy of talking cops out of DUIs. Black Velvet is one of those albums you can see while you hear; a mental music video for every song. Madeline has finally and fearlessly let her mind, mouth and heart open far enough for everyone to get a good look and the results are nothing short of thrilling.

UPCOMING SOON
August – Orca Team “Take My Hand” 7”
August – Tunabunny “Live at Athens PopFest 2010 & sorted tracks” cassette
September – Tunabunny “Minima Moralia” LP
September – Red Pony Clock “Whatever, Amen” LP
October – Dead Dog “Dead Dog” LP & CD reissue on This Will Be Our Summer
October – Oh Ok “the Complete Recordings” LP

NEWS
Afternoon Naps are wrapping up a new record to be released early 2012. The Smittens have also finished a new album to be released late 2011. The next installment in the Joe Jack Talcum Home Recordings series will be out in late 2011 and is about to be in mastering shortly. Orca Team are recording their new album this fall with a vinyl pressing of their self released CD-R to follow shortly after. Bunnygrunt have almost wrapped up another album for an early 2012 release. Flash to Bang Time are hard at work in the studio for a full length record for spring 2012. Eureka California are also looking at a debut album for this fall. Sourpatch will have a new album out in October followed by a split 7” w/ Forever in November. Sweater Girls are also wrapping up writing their debut long player with an early 2012 release date in the works. Looks to be a busy couple of months coming up.

TOURS
ORCA TEAM HITS THE ROAD THIS FALL
(all booked on their own, no booking agent so they have a few holes, if you can help out let me know)
Jul 29 Bluebird Ice Cream – Seattle, WA
Jul 30 Cat House of Costumes and Mystery – Portland, OR
Jul 31 The Big Float on The Willamette River – Portland, OR
Aug 02 Valentine's - Portland, OR
Aug 03 Luigi’s Slice and Fungarden - Sacramento, CA
Aug 04 Pickle Town - Oakland, CA
Aug 05 The Smell - Los Angeles, CA
Aug 06 DBA 256 Wine Bar Lounge - Pomona, CA
Aug 07 Yellow Carney Dance Hall - Phoenix, AZ
Aug 08 TBA (Help) - Tucson, AZ (May turn into Albuquerque)
Aug 09 TBA (Help) - Las Cruces, NM (May turn into Lubbock)
Aug 10 Marfa Public Radio 93.5 Fm - Marfa, TX (Afternoon - 2pm)
Aug 10 Padre's - Marfa, TX
Aug 11 Beerland - Austin, TX
Aug 12 Euclid Records – New Orleans, LA (Afternoon - 2pm)
Aug 12 TBA (Help) - New Orleans, LA
Aug 13 NOLA Art House – New Orleans, LA (Afternoon - 12pm)
Aug 13 Sluggo's - Pensacola, FL
Aug 14 V89 Radio - Tallahassee, FL – (Afternoon - 2pm)
Aug 14 Tooth House - Tallahassee, FL
Aug 15 The Whirling Cloud House - Panama City, FL
Aug 16 TBA (Help) - Atlanta, GA
Aug 17 Wuxtry Records - Athens, GA (Afternoon - 2pm)
Aug 17 The Caledonia Lounge Athens, GA
Aug 18 TBA (Help) - Birmingham, AL (Or Chattanooga.
Aug 19 Betty’s – Nashville, TN
Aug 20 Staycation - Burlington, NC
Aug 21 The Garage - Charlottesville, VA
Aug 22 TBA (Help) Baltimore, MD
Aug 23 Danger Danger Gallery – Philadelphia, PE
Aug 24 Bullshots - Atlantic City, NJ
Aug 25 Cake Shop - New York, NY
Aug 26 Happy Dog - Cleveland, OH
Aug 27 El Club - Detroit, MI
Aug 28 Saki - Chicago, IL (Afternoon - 2pm)
Aug 28 TBA (Help) – Chicago, IL
Aug 29 Cream City Collectives - Milwaukee, WI
Aug 30 The Heavy Anchor – St. Louis, MO
Aug 31 The Power House - Lincoln, NE
Sep 01 Wax Trax Records - Denver, CO (Afternoon)
Sep 01 TBA (Help) – Denver, CO (Got nothing)
Sep 02 The Shops at Riverwoods - Salt Lake City, UT (Evening - 6pm)
Sep 02 TBA (Help) – Salt Lake City, UT
Sep 03 TBA (Help) Boise, ID
Sep 04 The Stove Top - Kennewick, WA
Sep 05 Cairo - Seattle, WA
Sep 06 East End - Portland, OR

Oh yeah the label has a facebook page now, please go by and like it. I’ll be announcing lots of stuff on there and promotions and junk like that.

HHBTM
P.O.Box 742
Athens, GA 30603
www.hhbtm.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Happy-Happy-Birthday-to-Me-Records-HHBTM/213841921967528

Seventy72two
07-19-2011, 11:44 AM
I am exited to see Orca Team at saki (I've found the last like 5-7 hhbtm 7"s there) and I am very excited about the new release lineup.

Would Orca Team Play in my basement? loljk

And also, is the new Tunabunny going to so8und like the new 7"? Not, that I don't like the new 7", but I like the first album better

hhbtmike
07-19-2011, 09:06 PM
basement show - seriously yeah if you have a PA they will play your basement if you can get people to the show, so if you want this to happen, email me through the website.

on tunabunny there are first album moments on it, but the a-side of the single is the most pop song they have written which is why it was the single to try to get a few more people to notice it since the first album only got a response in the uk. the second album just has a different tone. it gets kinda dark in a few songs and there aren't the snippet type tracks on this one, it's all finished songs. they are already almost done with the writing of the third album in fact and are looking to play in chicago in early october.

Seventy72two
07-19-2011, 09:26 PM
basement show - seriously yeah if you have a PA they will play your basement if you can get people to the show, so if you want this to happen, email me through the website.

on tunabunny there are first album moments on it, but the a-side of the single is the most pop song they have written which is why it was the single to try to get a few more people to notice it since the first album only got a response in the uk. the second album just has a different tone. it gets kinda dark in a few songs and there aren't the snippet type tracks on this one, it's all finished songs. they are already almost done with the writing of the third album in fact and are looking to play in chicago in early october.

I was just joking about the basement show, but that great that they didn't completely change their sound. I will hope to be at the tunabunnny chicago show

AndrewSamson
09-07-2011, 05:04 AM
Joe Jack Talcum! Can't wait to hear it. :D

spiffy_kimbean
09-07-2011, 11:00 AM
<3<3<3 Tunabunny. For realz.

Seventy72two
09-12-2011, 05:07 PM
<3<3<3 Tunabunny. For realz.

its annoying because im probably not going to get to see them for the second time.

AndrewSamson
09-12-2011, 05:15 PM
its annoying because im probably not going to get to see them for the second time.

it's annoying because I won't be able to see them for the first time.