PDA

View Full Version : When The Red King Comes

one-headedboy
03-02-2011, 04:57 AM
Wow. I listened to this for the first time in a while (all the way through). How amazing is this album? I'll tell you: SO AMAZING. I wish I could live in between it's sound waves. Or in the castle on the cover.

IF YOU LOVE THIS ALBUM YOU SHOULD POST IN HERE. IF YOU DON'T YOU SHOULD JUST GO RUIN SOME OTHER THREAD.

crappybassist96
03-02-2011, 05:04 AM
Both of the first two (legitimate) Elf Power albums are ace. I'd really like to hear "The Arrow Flies Close" live (they might've done it on the last Holiday Surprise), but apparently L. Carter's zanzithiphone is no more.

one-headedboy
03-02-2011, 08:00 AM
I really want to hear "When the Red King Comes" and/or "It's been a million years." What a great closer.

Birds...The silent killer
03-02-2011, 11:11 AM
This album is quite radical.

Almonds
03-22-2011, 08:33 AM
i agree. i have been listening to it more frequently lately. it's really great when you're in that half sleep, half awake state.

jared7
03-24-2011, 09:08 PM
can we get a reissue of this?!

Harnk
03-25-2011, 01:36 PM

the album is easy to find. no need for a reissue.

one-headedboy
03-25-2011, 06:23 PM

I bought a copy on the HS tour.

jared7
03-26-2011, 01:44 AM
on vinyl or cd? i'm looking for it on vinyl, and i had thought it was out of print. i don't remember seeing it at the holiday surprise show, and it's been pretty pricey whenever i've seen it on ebay.

GlowRightIntoYou
03-26-2011, 11:02 AM
I think they only had it on CD at the show. Regardless, it's a great record. Elf Power ceases to blow me away. Even their new stuff is awesome. I don't think In a Cave or Dark Developments got the attention they deserved.

one-headedboy
03-26-2011, 11:28 AM
on vinyl or cd? i'm looking for it on vinyl, and i had thought it was out of print. i don't remember seeing it at the holiday surprise show, and it's been pretty pricey whenever i've seen it on ebay.

Cd, you should email arena rock, perhaps they have a few extra copies laying around.

one-headedboy
03-27-2011, 08:46 AM
I actually emailed them:

hi joe!

unfortunately i don't.

i had to purchase one for $25 here in portland about a year or so ago.

my ex-partner had some left (i think) but i have no idea where he is at this point.

i'd love to re-press but funds are low these days.

happy hunting!

cheers!

greg/arena rock

Harnk
01-26-2012, 01:29 PM
What shocked me about Elf Power is how so much of their music is shrouded in mystical nonza, yet their live shows are bare to the bones, and they all look like gas station attendants. Probably the worst live E6 show I have seen - and that doesn't bring me any joy in saying such a thing.

I just uploaded When the Red King Comes to my Ipod to revisit. It's been a good long time. This, however, does not mean I will be revisiting Kinsauce or Ross Beach. Maybe Fablefactory. It scares me how little I know about music that has been released in the past 3 years, bar a few bands which I follow religously. I've been content on listening to all of my CDs purchased prior to 2008.

I still like Walking With The Beggar Boys quite a bit. Back to the Web bored me, or perhaps I didn't give it a fair chance.

More pudding.

crappybassist96
01-26-2012, 06:32 PM
I actually really like Elf Power's live show, probably for the same reason you dislike it. It's really a basic rock show - no gimmicks, not even much dialogue; just songs. One of my favorite shows I've seen was them in the hole-in-the-wall Caledonia Lounge in Athens. It was packed, loud, and in July heat. It was wonderful.

AndrewSamson
01-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Awesome album, nothing interesting to say since my friend just got me more into them. She sent me a bunch of rips of their CDs. I always liked In A Cave, but I haven't listened to their early stuff as much. I'd love to see them live someday.

one-headedboy
01-22-2014, 08:14 PM
just bought this on vinyl on ebay... supposedly still sealed. Really hoping I am not getting f'd over.

one-headedboy
01-22-2014, 08:18 PM
I really want to hear "When the Red King Comes" and/or "It's been a million years." What a great closer.

OH HEY I got to hear WtRKC on Monday night!!!!! so that dream came true.

01-23-2014, 12:10 PM
I was pleasantly surprised that they did play When The Red King Comes. "Million Years" was played on one of the Holiday Surprise tours. I originally downloaded that album but left off that song and "Icy Hands." It was amazing to hear that complete LP, one of my favorites.

mirk
01-24-2014, 11:36 AM
Several songs from this album were worked up for this year's tour with NMH. And they sound great.

one-headedboy
01-24-2014, 01:17 PM
between the two nights I got Red King, Icy Hands, Cosmic Space, and Temporary Fault I think. They really did sound great, it t'was awesome

mirk
01-25-2014, 12:54 PM
In Ithaca, I got all those, Step Through the Portal, Arrow Flies Close (but no Jeff), and Secret Ocean. Rock.

Abel
01-25-2014, 04:46 PM
Yeah, I'm glad they played "Separating Fault" and "Arrow Flies Close" last night. They were definitely the two strongest songs they played.

Instead of "Jeff will sing us a song" they said "Scott will sing us a song" and Scott came out and sang the Jeff part. I guess Jeff's too cool or something.

01-25-2014, 07:03 PM
What? Separating Fault? Secret Ocean? Scott?! None of those things happened during the Port Chester show. I've never heard Secret Ocean live but would like to. Separating Fault was so amazing during Holiday Surprise. I must admit, I'm a bit disappointed I didn't get to see those tunes. Really super enjoyable show. Wish I could remember everything they played. They did Vainly Clutching at Phantom Limbs, Arrow, Jumping Fences, Cosmic Space (I think), The Well, Naughty Villain, Darkest Wave. Not sure about the rest.

TwiceStyle
09-26-2014, 07:59 PM
Their Brian Eno cover that I heard on Pandora got me to listen to the whole thing.