PDA

View Full Version : New Record

greatlake
06-11-2004, 08:31 AM
Hey Everybody. I'm back with the latest in Great Lakes news. The GL record, The Diamond Times, is coming along pretty well. Apart from a few overdubs and some backing vocals, the recording is pretty much done. At this point I'm doing the editing and all that pre-mixing kind of stuff. There are about 14 songs that we've recorded, but the record will probably be made up of the best 10 or 11. I hope to have the record mixed, mastered, and otherwise completely finished within the next two or three months. Maybe it'll be released in the fall, if everything works out with the labels' schedules. Hopefully some extensive touring will follow the release. I'm excited to play the new songs live. So, thanks to everybody for listening.
Best, Ben

[Edited on 6-11-2004 by greatlake]

auxiliaryoctopus
06-11-2004, 10:17 AM
Hooray for touring!

channelfan
08-09-2004, 08:23 PM
any updates on the new record?
what label is it going to be released on?
can't wait to hear it!

marie-agnes
08-10-2004, 12:09 AM
Splendid!
I am longing for it; ThanX.
Marie

call me hi
01-03-2005, 04:28 PM
still no news, or no?

greatlake
04-21-2005, 01:23 PM
hello. ben crum here. the band doesn't really have a full-service website, obviously, so, you know, i'll give a quick update here.

the new great lakes record is DONE. That is, the mixing is done. It still isn't sequenced or mastered, but we're getting to it. we hope to put it out in the fall. so you'll still have to be a little patient. sorry 'bout that. maybe it'll be on orange twin, maybe not. don't know yet.

it's a little different. i think the songs are the best dan and i have come up with so far. it's longer and much more hi-fi than the first two. it's also much more sparse, in terms of the instrumentation, and it doesn't have as much of a "happy" feel as the first two do. it's pretty and heartfelt, i guess. that's how i'd describe it anyway. it features a bunch of great musicians from new york, as well as all the good ol' athens gang. it's going to be called 'diamond times,' though for a time I was briefly trying to convince Dan that we should call it "Featuring Members of Great Lakes," out of exasperation at constantly being contextualized and described, press-wise, in reference to the other bands we all play in. but whatever. stylistically, it's all over the place. a song or two has that old great lakes piano-based pop kind of sound, some of it is pretty rockin, and some stuff on it veers toward country. Maybe we should put a disclaimer on it that says "This Album Contains No Alt-Country" or something, so we don't get branded. i don't know. but, again, whatever. jamey thinks the title track sounds like Young Americans. my friend told me one song sounds like the Clean. who knows. my favorites are the ones that sound to me like the Band, Doug Sahm, or the Wolf King album.

so, anyway, thanks to those of you who have been waiting so patiently. i'm glad to know that the first 2 albums still hold up for some of you. I'm looking forward to a U.S. tour in the fall. Hopefully Europe again too. I hope to see you all then.

Best, Ben

el topo
04-21-2005, 06:04 PM
Wow, I'm really looking forward to this one now. Thanks for the update.
And to commence the futile "please come to..." thread....please come to Wisconsin (not Beloit College).

Harnk
12-06-2005, 02:25 PM
Update please.