PDA

View Full Version : Best Circulatory System Album?

Abel
10-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Take your pick. If you think they are equally good, vote for both.

unk0wn
10-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Self Titled by FAR.

abgcunited11
10-08-2009, 08:13 PM
the best has not come yet.

Harnk
10-09-2009, 01:03 PM
first one by a landslide.

Katara
10-09-2009, 01:24 PM
I chose the s/t because when you hear it the first time it's just so overwhelmingly different from anything you've ever heard in your life, ofc Signal Morning is brilliant and I listen more to that now, but the first one just gives me these beautiful slivers of hope that are so hard for me to find in most music

damonin
10-09-2009, 01:55 PM
the first one has more normal "songs" with a really good message in them. but the second one is much better "studio" wise. so its really hard to choose.

Harnk
10-09-2009, 02:00 PM
but the second one is much better "studio" wise.

really? i think the new one has more patchy moments in terms of clarity.

abgcunited11
10-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Signal Morning has Circulatory System's 3 best songs in my opinion in Overjoyed, Round Again, and Blasting Through, but overall the self titled is better. Signal Morning has too many half-song types.

IAmAnEngine
10-09-2009, 05:39 PM
At the risk of getting a lot of hate.

I don't even like Signal Morning. Self titled is an absolute masterpiece.

Abel
10-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Hatehatehatehatehatehatehatehateahteahteahaethaeth aethteahteahtehethaethaethteahteah

IAmAnEngine
10-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Also, I don't understand how both options have more than 60% of the votes.

mgocze
10-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Also, I don't understand how both options have more than 60% of the votes.

computers are very bad at math.

Abel
10-09-2009, 07:33 PM
No, it's computing correctly in an odd way. You have to remember multiple choice is enabled.

mgocze
10-09-2009, 07:39 PM
No, it's computing correctly in an odd way. You have to remember multiple choice is enabled.

oh. in that case, i am very bad at math/paying attention.

seamantis
10-10-2009, 05:46 AM
Signal morning. The first one is good although it is not as exciting as signal morning. Also signal morning has more of the crazy 'Black foliage' type contrasts in songs. You could be listening to a string quartet for a few seconds and then you are suddenly attacked by a galloping rock song.

damonin
10-10-2009, 08:46 AM
really? i think the new one has more patchy moments in terms of clarity.

yeah it does, but i think its done on purpose. there are also portions of the album where they are playing with sounds to the point where it appears (at leas to me) that they achieved being able to create a 3d sound scape on a 2d format (stereo) which is mind blowing in my opinion. usually it takes 4 speakers to create a 3d atmosphere but they did it using the minds ability to create a 3d atmosphere from small nuances of frequency. it appears also some portions of the new album are using frequency's to get the listeners brain waves to achieve different states of meditation (at least thats what it appeared to me) which i also find to be really cool and has not really been done before on any albums that i have ever listened to.

the boundaries that they have broken sonically with this album place it very high on my list. sort of like what radiohead did when they released kid a and blew everyone's minds.

unk0wn
10-11-2009, 02:07 AM
i love both but S/T took you to a world that was dark, rainy yet dry and uplifting.

uncle eggma
10-12-2009, 10:04 AM
i voted s/t. to me, it is sonically superior.

telboyD
10-23-2009, 05:56 AM
Four months on since I first heard Signal Morning...
It's been a completely different experience to that which I had with the eponymous debut. I didn't have any massive expectations when the first CS album was due. If anything I was waiting for Will and Bill to get their shit together again (as many still are). Then, when it arrived, imo, 'Circulatory System' blew away everything OTC had ever done and was a massive step forwards for E6 personnel. Then, when 'Age of the Sun' arrived, being such an inferior/trivial affair by comparison, I was convinced Will had done the right thing by going alone.
Then... the wait.
The false release dates.
More delays.
Deserts.
Live recordings of the new songs.
Rumours of eighteen hours worth of recorded material.
And
Then
Finally
A LEAK.!

Now, with me not being the most observant of net-surfing fellows I was miffed to find out that I was a bit slow on the uptake and that it had been available for download some two months before I heard it. Most annoyingly of all. it was being reviewed by people with little or no interest in, or knowledge of, E6. I had been checking the Cloud/MySpace site almost every damn day for word on 'Blasting Through' and everyone seemed to know about it but me.!

So... the 'Signal Morning' leak

The first thing that struck me upon downloading was it's length. I kept telling myself 'This is Will Cullen Hart - he doesn't DO concise or short so this can't be the finished article'. I came to the town hall to prove myself wrong. After reading several threads it soon became clear that it was, indeed, the finished product (bar a bit of aural tweaking at the mastering stage). I had a palpable sense of disappointment but thought, 'sod it, if it's the finished album I'm not waiting anymore' so I downloaded it and pressed play.

Listening to 'Signal Morning' for the first time (and I suspect I'm not alone here) made me think WTF!!!! WHEN IS THIS GONNA KICK IN????? Where was the transcendental brilliance of the self-titled.? All I could hear was fuzzed-up noise to the extent that my ears felt like they'd been subjected to the aural equivalent of auto-asphyxiative sex. This wasn't a pleasurable experience. Ever heard 'Metal Machine Music'.? It was clear from the off that Will ain't trying to win new converts here. This is a record for hardcore fans. Only they would stick with it, give it time, knowing that it's creatorS have never let them down. The gold had to be in there somewhere amongst all that dirt.
Well, with Signal Morning being the most dense album I've ever heard, all I can say is that I would equate it to an archaeological dig. Each play removes a layer until, finally, the scattered bones are revealed and, by some miracle, you see that the skeleton is fully intact and can, with a little love and care, be pieced together. And once the pieces are assembled... WOAH..! My only criticism is, and always will be, Signal Morning's duration and that after hearing a track like 'News From The Heavenly Loom' it's obvious that there's a much, much bigger album waiting to be heard one day. One possible suggestion is that the unedited masters might seep out much like SMiLE has done over the decades. Either way, it was worth the six-year wait.

Now, where's my 'Deluxe Edition'.?

Abel
10-23-2009, 08:19 AM
I think Signal Morning is at times more accessible than the s/t. But I wouldn't argue that it was even a concern.

Freemdoom
10-23-2009, 11:33 AM
haha looks like my vote with the s/t ties it up

telboyD
10-23-2009, 12:24 PM
I voted s/t too - but only by a gnat's whisker. They're both creative non-corporate music of the highest order. You can hear the influence of s/t everywhere in highly regarded bands like Grizzly Bear and Animal Collective but it took a few years to seep into their sound. How long before we hear SM's influence.?

Akryllic Love
10-23-2009, 01:18 PM
i voted s/t. to me, it is sonically superior.

ummm what?

schroeder
10-26-2009, 03:29 AM
i think if the song structures and melodies of the self titled were mixed with signal morning's ideas of album structure, sound exploration and excitement it would make the perfect album.

st just gets really slow and almost repetitive if you dont give it many tries to get to know the songs. not much changes in the vibe on a lot of parts. but the way signal morning is set up just makes you eager for the next thing to happen. i voted signal morning because i love it ideas and i loved it the first time i heard it whereas it took me a million listens to apreciate st but now i definitely cant choose. i think the melodies in st have much more to offer and were written more cleverly. they just stick with you. in signal morning the songs are pretty shallow but with some kickass and id say revolutionary production ideas. but black foliage is nothing short of it so i still think will could be doing better

DavidLeeRoth
10-29-2009, 04:01 PM
I think it's a credit to Will's genius that he makes two very different albums each time out and they appeal equally (at least here) right down the middle. I think it would be interesting to see which album goes over better with your standard rock/indie crowd.

DLR

damonin
10-31-2009, 01:12 PM
probably the first one. signal morning might be too weird for most people.

uncle eggma
10-31-2009, 04:16 PM
ummm what?

it's true, i prefer the recording of the first album to the new one. though there's not one individual song on the entire s/t album that is as good as "this morning (we remembered everything)" as a whole i must rate it higher overall.

djey308
11-09-2009, 12:01 PM
the best has not come yet.

do you know something we don't?

anyway, first record all the way. it's conceptualized spirituality with a logical progession!!! fuckin genius!

telboyD
04-03-2010, 05:51 AM
Can't we have some 'Unsurpassed Masters' of both albums.? Whilst I love SM, it sound very choppy and I'd just love to hear a full song, you know, all the way to the end.

soniclovenoize
04-09-2010, 05:54 AM
All this fanboy stuff is depressing... Age of the Sun beats both by a landslide.

one-headedboy
04-09-2010, 07:48 AM
dude have you heard signal morning?

Birds...The silent killer
04-09-2010, 09:29 AM
All this fanboy stuff is depressing... Age of the Sun beats both by a landslide.

Bill Doss is insane. I don't think he ever gets tired of singing about our favorite star. Besides, The third Circulatory System album will be/ is the best.

soniclovenoize
04-09-2010, 02:22 PM
dude have you heard signal morning?

Yeah... last night, in it's entirety, through headphones.

Age of the Sun > Signal Morning

Dihnekis
04-09-2010, 03:27 PM
I need to go listen to it again I guess. I remember thinking it was good, but liking the first Circulatory System album more. The drums on Age of the Sun are played by Kliph Scurlock of the Flaming Lips, so that is cool

seamantis
04-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Age of the sun is quite good but I prefer Will's style. Neither are as strong as when they work together (although Signal morning is so close)

telboyD
04-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Look, AotS is good, but come on, Will is the sonic genius who can take you into both the light AND the dark and back again. Bill is a great pop song writer who elevates himself in Will's company. TSF will never, ever, ever, ever, ever equal the diversity of CS output. I just hope OTC get to do (at least) one more together. And JeffM will hopefully be in the fold too because together they are undeniably the greatest band in the world. Releasing a record now would bring them the worldwide respect they never got the first time around. And, as we E6 fans know, because Will told us, everything comes back around.

seamantis
04-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Well Will did say that but he has also said in various interviews that the olivias were working on new material! I dont think there is much in it between age of the sun and circulatorys systems self titled but I personally think Will really nailed it with signal morning.

soniclovenoize
04-13-2010, 08:34 AM
Age of the sun is quite good but I prefer Will's style. Neither are as strong as when they work together (although Signal morning is so close)

This it right here. After listening to Signal Morning and Green Imagination, I realize how much Will made the songs interesting but Bill kept it from going into chaos. It's like Johny Moondog and Mecca.

soniclovenoize
04-14-2010, 02:53 PM
I need to go listen to it again I guess. I remember thinking it was good, but liking the first Circulatory System album more. The drums on Age of the Sun are played by Kliph Scurlock of the Flaming Lips, so that is cool

He just played on A Better Way To Be. On the FLips board, he was telling this story how The FLips had a day off from touring, and he was hanging out at Bill Doss's place, and he was like "Record some drums!" Kliph said he didn't know it was gonna be on the record, and that he would've played better if he'd known! ;)

Dihnekis
04-14-2010, 03:08 PM
He just played on A Better Way To Be. On the FLips board, he was telling this story how The FLips had a day off from touring, and he was hanging out at Bill Doss's place, and he was like "Record some drums!" Kliph said he didn't know it was gonna be on the record, and that he would've played better if he'd known! ;)

I found that out when I was in the Ask Kliph a couple years ago, and I asked him if he liked any E6 bands. He said he liked OTC, and I suggested he listen to Age of the Sun. He then told me to go check the liner notes, which is when I noticed he played drums on it.

soniclovenoize
04-15-2010, 12:02 PM
:D Haha, that's cool. What's your username on the FLips board? I've been posting there since 2002 as NightclubDwight. Recently I had to go back to my old handle of Soniclovenoize though...

foodmetaphors
05-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Signal Morning is incredible so far. Don't think I'll get these tunes outta my head for months. Voted it over s/t.

soniclovenoize
05-08-2010, 07:21 AM
Why does Signal Morning remind me of the part in Walk hard where Dewey is recording his symphony to his brother?

http://c0181321.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/PHBdDEBFN4cCFB_1_m.jpg
http://c0181321.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/PHMZoPMQ89EzQT_1_m.jpg

funeralpudding
05-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Is Circulatory System that amazing that the sum of their two albums equals almost 120%?

Believesinjoy
05-08-2010, 11:56 PM
Why does Signal Morning remind me of the part in Walk hard where Dewey is recording his symphony to his brother?

http://c0181321.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/PHBdDEBFN4cCFB_1_m.jpg
http://c0181321.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/PHMZoPMQ89EzQT_1_m.jpg

is that whole scene supposed to be a brian wilson parody?

soniclovenoize
05-09-2010, 06:34 AM
Yes. The camera pans across the recording studio that has like 100 people crammed in it, playing all types of crazy instruments, inlcuding a full orchestra and a tribe of aboriginies (pictured above). And Dewey Cox is like "No! It's not right! It needs more aborigines!!!" :D

Funniest movie EVER. But you need to know a bit about music or have at least watched "Walk The Line", "Ray" and "the Brian Wilson Story." The historical figures played by cameo'd celebrities is just absurd (Jack Black as Paul McCartney?).

EarthlyCitizen
05-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Favorite part of one of my favorite movies up there.

soniclovenoize
05-10-2010, 01:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTKqDqdfEBA

"This is not a good song. It's like five songs on top of eachother at the same time."

one-headedboy
05-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Signal Morning is incredible so far. Don't think I'll get these tunes outta my head for months.
I get a different song stuck in my head every week. Right now it's The Frozen Lake/ The Symmetry

nikthastik
05-15-2010, 11:12 AM
why do i like that black sheep song? is it on the soundtrack?

foodmetaphors
05-15-2010, 12:48 PM
naturally i get Overjoyed stuck in my head :D

soniclovenoize
05-15-2010, 09:24 PM
why do i like that black sheep song? is it on the soundtrack?

I think it is. And you're right, that song is awesome! http://forums.netphoria.org/images/smilies/2thumbsup.gif

ElephantMassacre
06-07-2010, 08:54 PM
I would say both are equally as good, both are some of the greatest albums created.Also he has a underlining message thru both albums, dont you think? Anyone else noticed this?

Abel
06-08-2010, 07:32 AM
Yeah. Lots of circulatory themes.

shaunfilms
03-03-2011, 06:55 AM
s/t is so good!

theashtree
03-03-2011, 12:54 PM
mmmm, my head still feels like it's throbbing from the bass on Woodpecker Greeting Worker Ant :D

seamantis
03-03-2011, 01:33 PM
wow these results are really close. Its nice to see that both are appreciated. I was kind of worried that with the release of signal morning people would kind of look upon it negatively in a 'not as good as it used to be' kind of way, but i'm glad that people appreciate it more or less as much as the first record.

I personally prefer it! : )

lenn9o9n
03-04-2011, 04:08 AM
I was kind of worried that with the release of signal morning people would kind of look upon it negatively in a 'not as good as it used to be' kind of way,

i think after so many years of having s/t engrained in my head its hard to top. signal is probably the better album when it comes to the whole package. i've always felt like s/t could have been sliced by 1/4.

seamantis
03-04-2011, 05:31 AM
Agreed. But with the sunshine fix on top of it, it could have been an amazing Olivia album. Guess it was their first try at solo albums.

Abel
03-04-2011, 06:48 AM
But CS was hardly a solo album.

soniclovenoize
03-04-2011, 07:00 AM
But seamantis's comment still gave me a stiffy though.

E6er
03-16-2011, 05:07 PM
both good but cs had more memorable songs....joy, prehestroric, yesterdays world, forever,.....now that i think about it, every song on the album is a memorable track

Prisanthem
03-17-2011, 08:00 PM
I've never listend to them before...

soniclovenoize
03-17-2011, 08:09 PM
You should start. Do you like Olivia Tremor Control?

Prisanthem
03-17-2011, 08:55 PM
yes yes yes, very much so. similar? is it more instrumental?

soniclovenoize
03-17-2011, 09:10 PM
It's the Will Cullen Hart-side of OTC. Just imagine OTC minus Bill Doss. Pete and John are still in so it's really just 3/5ths of OTC, you know? I guess the analogy is, that if OTC is The Beatles then Circulatory System is The Plastic Ono Band (and of course Sunshine Fix is thus Wings). It's just as instrumental as OTC was, it's still Will's songs, his voice. But no Bill Doss.

The first album (the self titled) I'd say is more moody and atmospheric. Reminds my of OTC covering Meddle/Dark Side-era Pink Floyd. Kind of moody. Lots of sings similar in vein to Mystery and Another Set of Bees in The Museum...

The second album (Signal Morning) is more erratic and "constructed" as in it seems like it's a hundered bits & pieces assembled into this brilliant 45-minute album. It's a bit closer to OTC than the first album I'd say. Very very very layered and complex, as much so as Black Foliage.

So yeah, Circulatory System is the next step up from OTC! Check it out! :-)

Akryllic Love
03-17-2011, 09:51 PM
The first album is really sad and pretty. Listening to it on headphones is heaven. Every listen will reveal something new.
I can only write in short, choppy sentences.

Abel
03-17-2011, 09:53 PM
First album has a lot of hidden, repeating themes that will only reveal themselves after numerous listens, I think.

EarthlyCitizen
03-17-2011, 10:16 PM
Prisanthem, you have so much awesome awaiting you.

Almonds
03-22-2011, 09:41 AM
I think as an album, the first one is "better". But I think Signal Morning is easier to listen to as it is shorter and a little bit clearer maybe.

JamisonM
04-28-2011, 01:32 AM
I'm going with s/t because it is such an incredibly inspiring and beautiful record. Songs like "The Lovely Universe" and "Joy" are just so comforting, life-affirming and filled with love for everything, and musically the layers are so dense and heavenly. Signal Morning is a great record, don't get me wrong, but the latter part of the middle of the album lags a bit (though the title track is enough to pick it back up) and I always feel like I need to listen to it a few more times to "get" it completely, whereas s/t instantly grabs you.

Also, hello everyone. I'm Jamison.

Abel
04-28-2011, 02:21 AM
Welcome to the Townhall.

I had to listen to the s/t plenty of times before it really grabbed me, I think. But I still hadn't formed an opinion on OTC when I heard CS for the first time.

JamisonM
04-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks! I can definitely see how it would be more difficult to grasp without an opinion on OTC. I already considered Dusk at Cubist Castle and Black Foliage to be two of the greatest albums ever recorded when I first delved into Circulatory System, so I could take it in the context of Will's whole body of work.

Harnk
04-28-2011, 06:27 PM
not to always being on the downer, but this was the biggest musical dissapointment of my lifetime. the steep dropoff in accessibility and production quality (IMO, and I'm no musician/audiophile) was jarring. I find BSN more engaging.

JamisonM
04-28-2011, 06:52 PM
Interesting. If you're coming directly from OTC, as I'd say most are, to things like Sunshine Fix and Circulatory System, you're surely expecting certain parts of the OTC records to be emphasized. Both OTC records are so multifaceted that a project from some members of it could pursue any number of sounds, and it all depends on what part of OTC you're into. I personally love the OTC precedents of s/t (certain parts of Green Typewriters, Grass Canons) so naturally I dig the record. But, I mean, if you like the more noise-based parts of Will's OTC stuff I'm sure it would be a letdown. What do you think of Signal Morning, Harnk? It certainly has a larger amount of noise interspersed with the songs.

Seventy72two
04-29-2011, 08:09 PM
both good but cs had more memorable songs....joy, prehestroric, yesterdays world, forever,.....now that i think about it, every song on the album is a memorable track

i agree with my previous account

crappybassist96
04-29-2011, 08:16 PM
i agree with my previous account

Except you didn't mention "Lovely Universe" by name...and it's one of the coolest songs ever, in my opinion.

Seventy72two
04-30-2011, 12:13 AM
oh my go, i totally forgot about that one. I LOVE THE SONG THOUGH, AND DIARY OF WOOD

Harnk
04-30-2011, 01:52 AM
Interesting. If you're coming directly from OTC, as I'd say most are, to things like Sunshine Fix and Circulatory System, you're surely expecting certain parts of the OTC records to be emphasized. Both OTC records are so multifaceted that a project from some members of it could pursue any number of sounds, and it all depends on what part of OTC you're into. I personally love the OTC precedents of s/t (certain parts of Green Typewriters, Grass Canons) so naturally I dig the record. But, I mean, if you like the more noise-based parts of Will's OTC stuff I'm sure it would be a letdown. What do you think of Signal Morning, Harnk? It certainly has a larger amount of noise interspersed with the songs.

to me, Black Foliage is the height of psychedelia...a peak of blissful madness swamped in both color and shades of black...yet despte the clatter, each note and and feeling can be pulled out and recognized, touched and put back without losing sight (or really heard..hear or what not)...whereas Signal Morning seems sloppy, less focused, and largely unmemorable and also cloppy. And believe me, I waited long and passionately. I loved every thinng that lead up to this fart.

I wanted more, and like everyone who is afriad to admit it (god knows why), and it didn't come.

Seriously, even the critics ignored it.

Major major double motherfucking major letdown.

I preferred the second Sunshine Fix record to be honest...and that is no stabd at Bill Dosss, because I dig him solid.

JamisonM
04-30-2011, 03:15 PM
See, I guess I see it from a different perspective having become a fan when I did; I didn't have the wait between records, which surely would have given me a different perspective (though I'm not sure if I'd like it better or not.) Anyway, to my ears Signal Morning only suffers in comparison to s/t. Like I said earlier, I view it as something that takes certain ideas Will worked with in OTC but works with them in a different way. I agree that Black Foliage is fantastic psychedelia, incredible colorful, but I personally think s/t is Will working with a slightly smaller palate; mainly greens and dark blues, I like to think. But Signal Morning is a bit blurrier to me, at least right now. But my defense of Circulatory System is mainly that, for one thing, I like both the dense, layered, almost water-like sound of s/t and (to a lesser extent) the fuzzy, lo-fi sound Signal Morning shares with early OTC just as much as the immaculately produced, complex Black Foliage. I think Dusk at Cubist Castle is the best combination of all these sounds, but that's another argument entirely.

The other thing is that the melodies on both Circulatory System records are at least as strong as Will's work with OTC, and often stronger. "The Lovely Universe," "Joy," "Blasting Through," "Overjoyed," "Round Again," and many others have extraordinarily strong melodies. And while I still haven't grasped some lyrical meaning behind OTC, s/t in particular offers beautiful, incredibly comforting lyrics that surpass most OTC for me.

thedreamcomparison
08-31-2011, 07:40 AM
Self Titled by FAR.

Agreed.

"Should A Cloud Replace A Compass" is one of my favorite pieces of music of all-time

And, Signal Morning is a GOOD RECORD, and I really like it, and I enjoy listening to it, but it's nowhere close to their first (to me).

And, actually, I think the "Side 3" demos from Signal Morning are better than Signal Morning itself.

soniclovenoize
09-03-2011, 03:43 PM
View Poll Results: Best album?

Voters

Circulatory System
48 64.86%
aaron!
abgcunited11
alec
alltomorrowsparties
Almonds
Believesinjoy
cassette
Dihnekis
djey308
E6er
evera
Freemdoom
geneautry
grimble gromble
Helenwheels
homemadefading
IAmAnEngine
imbored
JamisonM
jdrawmeasheep
j_brodu
Katara
lenn9o9n
LOPLOP
mgocze
mirk
MyBucket'sGotAHoleInIt
nikthastik
Polyphemus
pssatw8
RedHandBandit
revtim01
RimBimHoot
Seventy72two
sic transit gloria
Skyfinity
Slyowl
Stormx
tabelz
telboyD
temp
theaddingmachine
thedreamcomparison
Thosedamnbuckets
tinysalmon4
uncle eggma
unk0wn
xx HeatherRene xy

Signal Morning
38 51.35%
Abel
abgcunited11
Akryllic Love
Amylise
animalsanimals
avant
coilfruit
crappybassist96
damonin
DaveKent
DavidLeeRoth
Dihnekis
Dooders
ElephantMassacre
evera
foodmetaphors
funeralpudding
Gin And Jews
grimble gromble
imbored
lousilvs
mgocze
mirk
Move the Sky
MyBucket'sGotAHoleInIt
nikthastik
octaviusgprime
officeparty
one-headedboy
Polyphemus
Robarley
schroeder
seamantis
Shorton
theaddingmachine
Thosedamnbuckets
Various Artists
whilst2

one-headedboy
09-03-2011, 03:45 PM
SM is still better.

Almonds
09-06-2011, 07:42 PM
self titled has been blowing my mind recently

i've been listening to it on the train to work very very early in the morning when i have nothing to do but sit and listen

one of my favorite parts is that mini song near the end of "fingers" which is barely audible

Gregreen
09-06-2011, 09:11 PM
S/T. Should a cloud replace a compass? I don't know what it is but it's so good. I just love the textures. I remember sitting on the beach listening to SM leak and it was good and all but their S/T is just better.

thedreamcomparison
09-07-2011, 06:10 AM
if i had to pick i would say that self-titled is better (to me)
my favorite CS actually might be "Side 3"

they're all similar but there are distinct differences, so it's really kind of hard to even compare them against each other

Abel
09-07-2011, 06:37 AM
If you're including Side 3, then I'm going to have to include Inside Views, which is the best.

one-headedboy
09-08-2011, 04:33 AM
if i had to pick i would say that self-titled is better (to me)
my favorite CS actually might be "Side 3"

they're all similar but there are distinct differences, so it's really kind of hard to even compare them against each other

Agreed.

"Should A Cloud Replace A Compass" is one of my favorite pieces of music of all-time

And, Signal Morning is a GOOD RECORD, and I really like it, and I enjoy listening to it, but it's nowhere close to their first (to me).

And, actually, I think the "Side 3" demos from Signal Morning are better than Signal Morning itself.

did you realize you made almost identical posts?

thedreamcomparison
09-08-2011, 07:57 AM
nope, i sure didn't. ha. glad they weren't contradictory.
edit: i get high a lot and forget that i've posted.

BrainDamege
09-09-2011, 06:50 PM
At the risk of getting a lot of hate.

I don't even like Signal Morning. Self titled is an absolute masterpiece.
your brave, good for you.

BrainDamege
07-14-2012, 06:26 PM
its really hard to pick between the two.

the self titled is better sing-a-bility wise, Signal Mornings songs are shorter and sometimes repetitive. I'm a lover of the music of repetition so thats my thing anyways but I do enjoy actual lyrics with my rock. there is more to choose from on the self titled, and the beats of both are really good. but "joy" is the first song I ever heard that got me right where I am right now.

I guess signal morning is better because you can get it in vinyl, once the self titled is availble on vinyl they will be equal..... to me, mee.

EarthlyCitizen
07-15-2012, 01:48 PM
but "joy" is the first song I ever heard that got me right where I am right now.

Possibly my favorite. :)

BrainDamege
07-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Possibly my favorite. :)

for favorite, I would probably say "days to come (in photographs)" or "your parades" I really like right now.

however from signal morning "The Frozen Lake/the Symmetry" and "this morning (we rememberd everything)" and "overjoyed" may be my favorites from that album. ugh and "rocks and stones" I like the end of "blasting threw" all though its a good song it peeks at the end and I don't know if they could have had that going on the whole song anyways its pretty intense -and well put together. "rocks and stones" really pulls me back and I feel like the way I did when I first put the album on for the first time. I was like "oh yeah this is good stuff" right away.

either one, I think Derek really pulls it together and the drums are substantially better on circulartory system albums than olivia tremor control. Don't get me wrong I love olivia tremor control to death but the drum parts don't pull my hearing the way they do on cs tracks. the drums are good on "california demise" but.... can't think of anything else off the top of my head that really gets one... needing to move. SWING!

soniclovenoize
08-08-2012, 01:55 PM
either one, I think Derek really pulls it together and the drums are substantially better on circulartory system albums than olivia tremor control. Don't get me wrong I love olivia tremor control to death but the drum parts don't pull my hearing the way they do on cs tracks. the drums are good on "california demise" but.... can't think of anything else off the top of my head that really gets one... needing to move. SWING!
Remember that Derek only plays drums on the current live incarnation of OTC--It was Eric who played drums on the OTC albums.

Likewise, different people played drums on Signal Morning--Jeff Mangum in particular played drums on Round Again and probably Woodpecker Greeting Worker Ant, and Eric Harris played drums on the title track. Then Derek, Hannah Jones and even Julian Koster are all credited with playing drums somewhere on the album, so it's hard to figure out who played what aside form those three tracks.

crappybassist96
08-08-2012, 10:18 PM
I always liked the drums on "A New Day." Also, I think Jeff Mangum played drums on nearly the entire first CS album, but Derek did handle drumming live with them sometimes. They also had another member assigned to drumming live; his name is Chase Prince.

Seventy72two
08-09-2012, 08:31 AM
I wish I could change my answer to this poll. I said S/T, but for a long time time now, Signal Morning has been one of my favorite albums of all time.

BrainDamege
08-09-2012, 11:54 AM
its actually very very hard to tell who is playing what on any otc or cs album. I mean the credits are like 20 people to 26 tracks. When I first got one of the albums and saw all the credits I thought... okay I bought this album for 15 dollars and there are 32 people credited to this album... so that means everyone got paid .12 cents??? I'm sure its divided diffrently then that, like those who contributed more tracks obviously got paid more.

I think they do that because then if anyone infringes any copy rights then they are getting sued by... like... 36 people.

BrainDamege
08-09-2012, 11:55 AM
speeking of drummers...

what do you call a person who hangs out with musicians? a drummer! lol I love drummer jokes.

Seventy72two
08-09-2012, 03:06 PM
its actually very very hard to tell who is playing what on any otc or cs album. I mean the credits are like 20 people to 26 tracks. When I first got one of the albums and saw all the credits I thought... okay I bought this album for 15 dollars and there are 32 people credited to this album... so that means everyone got paid .12 cents??? I'm sure its divided diffrently then that, like those who contributed more tracks obviously got paid more.

I think they do that because then if anyone infringes any copy rights then they are getting sued by... like... 36 people.

I bet most of the people on 1-3 songs, didn't ask for any royalties.

crappybassist96
08-10-2012, 08:36 PM
Most of the royalties go to songwriters anyways.

BrainDamege
08-11-2012, 04:46 PM
only professionals get royalties... but I there is another word I was thinking of... and i can't think of it now... shit!!! its when you do some work, like acting in a commercial, then they use the commercial another time and they pay you again. di.... dev... ?????

this will bother me all day!!!!!!!!!!! I hate it when this happens. last time the word i was looking for was eccentric. like, cults need an eccentric leader.

BrainDamege
08-11-2012, 05:13 PM
residuals!!!! re-sid-u-als

Ratlank501
12-26-2012, 05:53 AM
S/T would be perfect if it wasn't for the child counting before Yesterday's World. It feels out of place and ruins the feel of the album in my opinion, so I voted for Signal Morning.

Abel
12-26-2012, 08:39 AM
Wow, and I thought I hated kids.

seamantis
12-26-2012, 04:33 PM
I don't think two seconds of one record can really make or break it.

Ratlank501
12-27-2012, 11:13 AM
I don't think two seconds of one record can really make or break it.

In most cases, I would agree, but in this case It just feels so out of touch with the rest of the album, I find it difficult to not strongly dislike it. Had one of the band members counted down, I would have no hesitation calling it the greatest album every made. But whenever I listen to the S/T, I usually start at track two, which shows how much I dislike the child, as I never, ever skip tracks on an album.

seamantis
12-27-2012, 01:09 PM
If you hate it so much why don't you try and cut it out using audio editing software?

Ratlank501
12-27-2012, 02:23 PM
If you hate it so much why don't you try and cut it out using audio editing software?

I don't like the album starting with the actual song. It doesn't feel very album openy. Besides, I don't like messing around with things like that. I prefer to listen to it as the artist intended, even if I don't like what they intended.

BrainDamege
12-27-2012, 05:29 PM
I personally hate children. some way more than others. way way more. bastards.

but I do love boys choir more than any other sound in the world. and I think that if one of the band members were counting down for yesterdays world it would have been not a good idea.

but I don't believe the child is not counting on tempo.... and its not a 3/4 song its a 4/4 unless the "hit it" is suposed to be 4. and a one, and a two, and a one two three hit it! okay so whats our meter???? 2/4? cut time? or 3/4 because I heard no 4 at any time. <--- my dad calls this "musicians disease". I really shouldn't be like this.

soniclovenoize
12-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Yeah the "hit it" is the 4. It sure would be boring if every count in ever was always "1 2 3 4".

Abel
12-28-2012, 09:57 AM
That whole post about 3/4 time was pretty embarrassing if you ask me, which you didn't.

soniclovenoize
12-28-2012, 10:14 AM
I had a very snarky comment here but I decided not to post it.

But to give you a gist, I just calculated that that intro is only two seconds long, and there are 3,483 seconds on the entire album. So that intro to Yesterday's World is only approx 0.06% of the entire album.

If that 0.06% makes or breaks the album, then that is one HELLUVA intro! A tipofthehat to Will & Co!

Abel
12-28-2012, 10:16 AM
I like the kid intro. I think it fits in nicely with the theme of the song and the overall theme of the album.

soniclovenoize
12-28-2012, 10:18 AM
We are in agreement my good sir.

surrealistnightmare
12-28-2012, 10:31 AM
I think it fits in nicely with the theme of the song and the overall theme of the album.

Yes, exactly

Ratlank501
12-28-2012, 11:55 AM
I like the kid intro. I think it fits in nicely with the theme of the song and the overall theme of the album.

How so? The rest of the album is much darker than a child counting down, hence why I feel it's out of place.

soniclovenoize
12-28-2012, 12:29 PM
I don't think it's dark it all, but instead presents a child-like hopefulness about the broader nature of reality. This can be seen in such songs as The Lovely Universe, Inside Blasts, Forever, etc. The introduction also serves as a clue that the listener should drop his pretense and the convictions attained throughout adulthood and just accept the music into one's heart, as a child would, without these strict walls created by harsh realities. It is after all, an alternate reality Will is allowing us a glimpse into.

Ratlank501
12-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Okay, that's a pretty good point. I'm going to go listen again, and see if I can like it.

soniclovenoize
12-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Well, it's up to you if you like it or not. It's OK if you don't. :)

Ratlank501
12-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Well I like the rest of the album, so I figure if I can make myself like the child, I can consider it my favourite album ever.

soniclovenoize
12-28-2012, 12:49 PM
I think what we should really be discussing is why you hate children.

Ratlank501
12-28-2012, 12:56 PM
The voices of most of them irritate me. The kid in this album has one of those voices that I can't stand.

soniclovenoize
12-28-2012, 12:58 PM
But nothing is as precious as a child's laughter.

Also, isn't that one of John's kids? You are so mean. ;_;

Ratlank501
12-28-2012, 01:06 PM
I probably wouldn't have cared if the child did some not very noticeable backing vocals somewhere. But for those two seconds, s/he is the only sound there is, and without any instruments backing it up, I don't think it sounds too great. Although I suppose I am blowing it out of proportion. It is only 0.06% after all.

Abel
12-28-2012, 01:07 PM
Yesterday's world, thinking about our pasts and where we came from, even childhoods. Seems to fit in to me. The whole album, and everything the band has done, seems to focus on the circularity of time. And even on the idea of simultaneity of multiple time frames, making it all about perspective. We're still the same individuals we were when we were children. I think having a kid kick it off, and being the driving force in why the music starts, highlights the relationship to yesterday's world.

soniclovenoize
12-28-2012, 01:07 PM
It's an a capella accompaniment.

soniclovenoize
12-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Will is saying that as adults we are still children in this circular nature of time.

So if you hate that child's introduction, then you are really hating yourself.

Why do you hate yourself Ratlank501?

Ratlank501
12-28-2012, 01:25 PM
I guess I have an irritating voice.

BrainDamege
12-28-2012, 11:44 PM
I think what we should really be discussing is why you hate children.

i hate children because im naturally good with kids. everyone always comes to me with this "you should work with children" bs. and its like... you HAVE to be that way you don't have a choice.

and i dont like that you have to not curse around them, and most of all you have to do a lot of explaining and giving choices and "getting down on thier level" when serious. i simply don't have the time or entergy to deal with kids.

and they are always getting sick and they can't floss %100 or cut thier toe nails!!! more work than a dog to take care of.

soniclovenoize
12-29-2012, 08:05 AM
Yeah all of that is true.

BrainDamege
12-31-2012, 11:27 AM
I personally like the "whoo" s that you can hear from the children. la la lalalaa la lala lala la whoo!

but the only and ONLY one reason the self titled is better than signal morning is because its available on vinyl, otherwise.... I really dig signal morning.

Abel
12-31-2012, 12:55 PM
You have that backwards. Signal Morning is on vinyl, not the s/t.

BrainDamege
12-31-2012, 02:59 PM
You have that backwards. Signal Morning is on vinyl, not the s/t.

oh yeah... its the white one.... thanks.

then I change my mind. I like singal morning better anyways. but Honestly I don't know. they need to release the self titled on vinly to level out the playing feild. nothing beats days to come (in photographs) or your parades. diary of wood. great work. "pretend your a soup of sky pass earth tonight".

Abel
12-31-2012, 03:25 PM
Yeah, apparently they're working on getting the s/t out on vinyl. It'd have to be a double album. I'll definitely buy it.

BrainDamege
01-02-2013, 05:51 PM
actually... the first song I ever heard live in LA 2011 holiday surprise tour was "yesterdays world" so it has a very special place in my heart. (awwww)