PDA

View Full Version : What is

one-headedboy
07-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Thimble Circus?

what does it sound like? Just wondering I guess.

Birds...The silent killer
07-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Here's the info on the myspace. No tracks though.
Thimble Circus is the recording project of Jill Carnes. She has toured with The Music Tapes where she was accompanied onstage by Eric Harris (The Olivia Tremor Control, The Music Tapes). She also contributed to Of Montreal's Coquelicot Asleep in the Poppies album on the track The Events Leading Up to the Collapse of Detective Dullight. Not only a musician, Jill is also a visual artist. She designed the artwork for the UK version of Neutral Milk Hotel's On Avery Island album. In 2001, she completed the recordings for her first album. It features guest appearances by Jeff Mangum ( Neutral Milk Hotel), Scott Spillane (The Gerbils, Neutral Milk Hotel), Peter Erchick (Pipes You See, Pipes You Don't, The Circulatory System), Heather McIntosh (The Circulatory System, The Instruments). Lullaby for Worriers was self-released in February 2003. Official web page: www.thimblecircus.com Other projects involving Thimble Circus members: Olivia Tremor Control, The Circulatory System ( ALBUMS ) Lullaby for Worriers CD self-released Feb. 2003

mgocze
07-02-2009, 06:06 AM
have you heard the major organ and the adding machine version of what a wonderful world? that is jill singing in the beginning. and musically, thimble circus is sort of similar to that song. piano and guitar and uke and banjo and drums. nice bedroom-y, lo-fi sounding recordings.

there's a thread a couple of threads ago where you can download lullaby for worriors. listening to it will give you the best explanation.

jdrawmeasheep
07-02-2009, 01:21 PM
ah. I always thought that was jeff after some helium intake or something haha.

d00d mee toooo!!!

nesey
07-02-2009, 07:22 PM
i love jill and thimble circus. for anybody with the hype city neutral milk tape jills on there laughing and playing toy piano on that everywhere i go song. far less notably she played drums on most of the songs on two bicycles (my boring/crappy old record) and sang on one of the songs.

eric harris and jeff mangrum recorded most of lullaby for worriers. it is one of the best sounding albums ever made for folks who are into sound and how it sounds.

ive been meaning to help her record a new record for a long time. maybe this summer.

write her an email and say you want to give her money, she still has a closet full of the cds and theyre wonderful. she could use the money. she got so poor she sold all of her instruments last year. itd be nice if she had a surprise extra something to buy herself new instruments with.

mgocze
07-02-2009, 07:37 PM
far less notably she played drums on most of the songs on two bicycles (my boring/crappy old record) and sang on one of the songs.

traintrack laughter? i thought the female voice in that song sounded like her.

write her an email and say you want to give her money, she still has a closet full of the cds and theyre wonderful. she could use the money. she got so poor she sold all of her instruments last year. itd be nice if she had a surprise extra something to buy herself new instruments with.

that's horrible that she had to sell her instruments. do you have an email address for her? i'd love to do this the next time i have discretionary funds.

(ps, bicycles is neither boring nor crappy. at least not to these ears.)

GlowRightIntoYou
07-02-2009, 09:14 PM
I will now officially plug the Jill Carnes Fanclub on facebook, hahaha.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=128298810213&ref=ts

GlowRightIntoYou
07-02-2009, 09:43 PM
if you give me an email address (or pm me a mailing address, if you have one), i've got some money to send. All i spend money on are plants, dirt, and vegetables, so i have plenty to spare. Haha.

and imaginary friends that are (belatedly) in the mail.

GlowRightIntoYou
07-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Aw, it didn't let me post that in all caps for some reason. I forgive you, internet.