PDA

View Full Version : Roky's popfest set

inthistube
12-14-2008, 01:23 AM
So, after posting the Roky Erickson set from Popfest over on my blog, I found out that his management (family?) isn't too keen on widespread distribution of his live material...

I've pulled it from my blog, but you can still grab the tracks via the direct link (http://www.theflatresponse.com/audio/2008/08/36%20Erickson,%20Roky%20-%202008-08-14%20-%2040%20Watt%20Club,%20Athens%20PopFest/).

I'll leave the tracks posted a few days for the PopFest faithful, but please don't repost the link elsewhere...

~lcs

Dihnekis
12-14-2008, 05:00 AM
mp3s of live performances = the suck

Still, thanks and all that. But damn, why bastardize what you go through all the effort of capturing? Release the lossless version, and people can make it into the lossy version if they want. Release the lossy version, and people are stuck with the lossy version. I'm speaking about all of your live recordings when I say this, not just this specific one... although I'm personally only interested in the lossless versions of the popfest sets.

Filesize difference is almost negligible, and if bandwidth is an issue there are tons of options, from free crap like Megaupload and Rapidshare, to bootleg/live trackers like DimeADozen. Hell even demonoid would be a good place for this, and the other popfest recordings. Host the mp3s on your site and let people distribute the FLAC themselves. Why not? I mean, you are obviously going through the time to catalog and distribute these performances, so why not do so in the most archival format possible? MP3s are bullshit.

Again, thanks for the effort though, I'd prefer to hear this on mp3 over not at all.

DaveKent
12-14-2008, 02:25 PM
The guy says that he's having trouble releasing it and you bitch about getting MP3 instead of FLAC?

Come on...

lou2ser
12-14-2008, 03:51 PM
mp3s of live performances = the suck

As someone who runs a live music blog, I take offense to that statement. I host MP3s and FLAC of each show I upload and more than 75% of my bandwidth goes to the MP3s. People want MP3s and I'd prefer they have a properly encoded version instead of using some adware converting program.

Not to mention, Lance typically includes a link to Dimeadozen for each show he uploads.

It can be a pain in the but to drag your equipment to a show, get the okay from the band, record the show, take it home and master it, break it up into individual tracks, figure out song titles, and then pay for your own website to host the files.

Maybe you're just in a foul mood today but you really shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

theaddingmachine
12-14-2008, 03:57 PM
lance, I APPRECIATE YOU

RaelO
12-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Thank you. ♥

emmi_i
12-16-2008, 12:08 PM
thank you!

Dihnekis
12-17-2008, 02:56 AM
As someone who runs a live music blog, I take offense to that statement. I host MP3s and FLAC of each show I upload and more than 75% of my bandwidth goes to the MP3s. People want MP3s and I'd prefer they have a properly encoded version instead of using some adware converting program.

Not to mention, Lance typically includes a link to Dimeadozen for each show he uploads.

Maybe you're just in a foul mood today but you really shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

If people want mp3s, why not let them figure out how to use basic converting software that is built in to most media players, like Foobar/Winamp/etc. The itunes store sells shit-tons of DRM encoded, 128kbps mp3s, but that doesn't really mean all those people aren't paying for a sub-par format, when they could easily go out and buy the damn CD. I know most people don't care, but for the people who do care, its a real bitch to see shows like this floating around in a lossy format only.

Elf Power/Thee American Revolution/Circulatory System are the ones I'm addressing in particular.

The guy says that he's having trouble releasing it and you bitch about getting MP3 instead of FLAC?

Come on...

I wasn't really trying to address this post, I was trying to address the rest of the PopFest sets I've been bitching about only being released in mp3, I probably should have put more emphasis on that. I've emailed him like 3-4 times, made tons of comments on his blog, so I figured this was a chance to actually get a response.

Again (again), thanks for the effort though, I'd prefer to hear this on mp3 over not at all.