http://www.auxcd.com/
http://www.myspace.com/auxexperimentalartsevent

patrock
02-21-2008, 08:27 PM
I will be there no doubt.

lou2ser
02-24-2008, 10:29 PM
How was BSN?

They didn't play as BSN instead they played as "The Flash Card Orchestra." Bill Doss conducted a group of 15-20 people including Andrew Rieger, Pete Erchick, BP Helium, Eric Harris, John Fernandes, Heather McIntosh, Davey Wrathgaber, David Specht, and a bunch of Dark Meat folks. Other people in the room at the time who might have been on stage include Derek Almstead, Scott Spillane, Dottie Alexander, and Jamey Huggins. Four people who were in the room but were definitely not on stage were Jeff Mangum, Jimmy Hughes, JoeJustJoe and myself.

The idea was Bill would show a flashcard to the band and they would act out whatever the flashcard said. There were different sections of the band, so they would start and stop at different times. For example, one of the flashcards said something along the lines of insects buzzing in the springtime and everyone would act that out for 30 seconds or so.

I know Sloan taped it and Heather is in possession of a video. Hopefully both those and some other artifacts will see the light of day.

patrock
02-25-2008, 02:28 AM
I didn't like that performance at all. I really liked the marketplace stuff more than the performances. I liked the film at cine but the rest was just a bit stale at times, but I had fun. They are planning another one to take place at Athica later this year, I may try to get in on that one.

el topo
02-25-2008, 08:44 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I wish I lived in Athens. (But I like Madison.)

theaddingmachine
02-25-2008, 09:00 AM
that sounds so wild!

wilson
02-25-2008, 12:48 PM
They didn't play as BSN instead they played as "The Flash Card Orchestra." Bill Doss conducted a group of 15-20 people including Andrew Rieger, Pete Erchick, BP Helium, Eric Harris, John Hernandez, Heather McIntosh, Davey Wrathgaber, David Specht, and a bunch of Dark Meat folks. Other people in the room at the time who might have been on stage include Derek Almstead, Scott Spillane, Dottie Alexander, and Jamey Huggins. Four people who were in the room but were definitely not on stage were Jeff Mangum, Jimmy Hughes, JoeJustJoe and myself.

The idea was Bill would show a flashcard to the band and they would act out whatever the flashcard said. There were different sections of the band, so they would start and stop at different times. For example, one of the flashcards said something along the lines of insects buzzing in the springtime and everyone would act that out for 30 seconds or so.

I know Sloan taped it and Heather is in possession of a video. Hopefully both those and some other artifacts will see the light of day.

This sounds fantastic. I considered going all through last week, but then got into a spiralling funk Friday night and couldn't bring myself to make the drive come Saturday morning.

I have hopes about the taped copy surfacing somewhere on these internets...

lou2ser
02-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Oh, and there was an audio installation outside of Little Kings. Four boomboxes playing in synch to create a soundscape. Artists included Derick Almstead, Davey Wrathgaber, Will Westbrook, and someone else who's name escapes me.

JoeJustJoe
02-25-2008, 02:01 PM
I didn't like that performance at all.

Did you see Chris Herron & Friends? That was amazing! So was the Dark Meat performance.

The whole flash card thing was an expiriment and from that regard I thought pretty cool.

JoeJustJoe
02-25-2008, 02:06 PM
There was also an impromtu Gerbils perfomance outside Little Kings.

seamonster
02-25-2008, 02:57 PM
im so bummed i couldn't make it down to that.
i played at aux last year and it was tons of fun.
it sounds like the flash card orchestra replaced the vortex of withering this time around, wish i coulda seen it.
sigh.

thekingisdead
02-25-2008, 05:27 PM
There was also an impromtu Gerbils perfomance outside Little Kings.

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwhat??

patrock
02-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Did you see Chris Herron & Friends? That was amazing! So was the Dark Meat performance.

The whole flash card thing was an expiriment and from that regard I thought pretty cool.

I see Dark Meat all the time and they are always horrible. I may have seen Chris Herron. I thought the markets were awesome. I bought a few shirts from the girl who made Kevin Barne's heimdalsgate 13 foot cloak

hwanky
02-27-2008, 03:10 PM
I see Dark Meat all the time and they are always horrible. I may have seen Chris Herron. I thought the markets were awesome. I bought a few shirts from the girl who made Kevin Barne's heimdalsgate 13 foot cloak

I really hope you guys take everything this guy says about the bands he sees in Athens with a grain of salt. While entitled to his opinions...he seems to lack perspective.

thekingisdead
02-27-2008, 11:03 PM
i don't particularly enjoy dark meat shows either, but they do their thing well i 'spose.

edit:

anyone going to the bumblebear showcase thursday? i'll be there. All of my favorite popfest '07 performers will be there and I haven't seen any of them since then. Quiet Hooves is soooooo good.

damonin
02-29-2008, 09:40 AM
i prefer breast meat myself...

patrock
03-01-2008, 08:06 PM
the thing with dark meat is that I love alot of noise music and dark meat just doesn't pull it off well. Their records are not terrible, however live they look like a bunch of nerdy kids who wish it was still the 60's making mundane tunes that all sound alike.

ggrisamore
03-02-2008, 12:15 AM
the thing with dark meat is that I love alot of noise music and dark meat just doesn't pull it off well. Their records are not terrible, however live they look like a bunch of nerdy kids who wish it was still the 60's making mundane tunes that all sound alike.

you should just refrain from posting from now on, unless it's about your valentines dinner.

patrock
03-02-2008, 12:08 PM
you should just refrain from posting from now on, unless it's about your valentines dinner.
You honestly enjoy dark meat? I think they are the most overrated Athens band right now.

JoeJustJoe
03-03-2008, 10:19 AM
I do

Dihnekis
03-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Can we get some more info about this impromptu gerbils performance. They are pretty much the best thing ever, I wanna hear about!

JoeJustJoe
03-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Sorry my bad. A slight exaggeration. More like Scott singing a couple verses outside Little Kings.

damonin
03-08-2008, 01:28 PM
did you kiss him?

lou2ser
03-19-2008, 01:43 PM
http://southernshelter.com/2008/03/black-swan-network-little-kings-22308.html

wilson
03-19-2008, 03:12 PM
And just below that is the 2006.10.11 Athens, Caledonia Lounge Circulatory System show which Sloan recently unearthed. I swoon for Southern Shelter this week.

Dihnekis
06-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Anyone mind seeding this on Dime?